What happens if you ignore a traffic ticket?
Traffic tickets might seem like minor offenses, but if you ignore them or fail to respond to your ticket, the matter will only get worse. As a result, your fine could increase, and you will likely face additional penalties. Failure to pay the fine could result in:
- A civil assessment of up to $300 could be added to your fine
- You may not be able to renew your vehicle’s registration
- Your case could be submitted for collection
- The court would issue an arrest warrant for you
- The court would charge you with an infraction or misdemeanor
In the event that you receive a civil assessment, but you have a valid reason for not paying your fine or appearing in court, it is crucial to ask the court in a timely manner if you are eligible to have it canceled.