Let our team help you during this difficult time

When Child Protective Services (CPS)or the Department of Children and Family Services (CFS) is alerted to incidents of alleged child abuse or neglect, a member of their emergency response staff must investigate the allegations to determine if the accusations are true. An in-person response is required, and if CPS/CFS personnel believe the allegations are legitimate, an intervention will take place. 

At the Law Office of Vincent S. Hughes in San Bernardino, we understand the fear and concern these situations cause parents and offer the strong legal support necessary when dealing with CPS/CFS. Call our law office today to schedule a consultation.

Why choose attorney Vincent S. Hughes for a CPS case?

At the Law Offices of Vincent S. Hughes, you will not only be represented by an accomplished, caring, responsive attorney but can access financing through a service called “Client Credit.” The firm is equipped with technology to make legal services more efficient, which can lead to more competitive prices, especially for family law cases.

Legal representation from Mr. Hughes is personalized and attentive. He genuinely understands the stresses and anxiety associated with legal issues threatening the rights of parents. For one-on-one legal support to protect your parental rights, you can’t afford NOT to hire Vincent Hughes.

Banner media

What to expect when CPS intervenes?

If CPS determines that any allegations of child abuse or neglect are accurate, these are some of the actions they may take:

  • Create a safety plan which would allow the child to continue living with their family while providing services that could ensure the child is safe at home.
  • Remove the child from their family. Under these circumstances, the child would be put into foster care.

Most CPS cases typically include an investigation, informal supervision, removal (if deemed necessary), and court hearings. You can also expect the investigator assigned to your case to question the people you most frequently interact with, including:

  • Your child or children
  • Your child’s teachers or daycare workers
  • Your child’s doctor
  • Relatives
  • Close friends
  • Neighbors

These cases are challenging to navigate, emotionally charged,and, unfortunately, families are often left broken when these critical legal matters are mismanaged. Our experienced attorney will work closely with you to protect your family.

Know your rights in a CPS case.

When the government intervenes, it appears the parents (or another guardian) must submit to the requests made. It is essential to know your rights in these situations so that you can protect your rights as a parent. Here is what you need to know:

  • CPS/CFS is not allowed to enter your home without permission and/or a valid search warrant. They may show up at your home, but unless they have your consent, a warrant, a court order, or credible information that a child is in immediate severe danger, they cannot enter.
  • Unless they have a court order based on reasonable suspicion, CPS cannot force you to submit to a drug test.
  • If your child is ultimately placed in foster care, you are entitled to have regular phone calls with your child when it is not considered harmful to their well-being. If it is deemed safe, you are also allowed in-person visitation, as ordered by Juvenile Dependency Court.
  • You will still maintain parental rights to your child even if they are removed from your home and placed in foster care.

Talk to us about your CPS case.

If you are in the middle of a CPS case, it is essential to hire a knowledgeable family law attorney to help fight for your rights as a parent. If CPS opens a case for you, contact the legal team at the Law Office of Vincent S. Hughes in San Bernardino as soon as possible for a consultation.

Your Advocate, Your Voice, Your Justice Stop worrying
about your case.
We can help.

Book Online Today
Contact us media
Accessibility: If you are vision-impaired or have some other impairment covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to using this website, please contact our Accessibility Manager at 909-281-2160.
Contact Us